The GSNL intitiative is a network, where
- CEOS (Committee on Earth Observation Satellites) Space agencies provide satellite imagery at no cost for scientific use,
- the in situ data providers, including national monitoring agencies and data infrastructures, provide access to ground-based data,
- the global scientific community exploits these data to generate state of the art scientific results.
The CEOS space agencies
The CEOS Space Agencies support the GSNL initiative with satellite imagery (SAR and optical).
Within the CEOS, the Data Coordination Team (DCT) is the body which evaluates the Supersite proposals and proposes to the CEOS Plenary the acceptance of new SUpersites. The DCT also reviews the Supersite achievements.
The GSNL initiative is also represented in the CEOS WG Disasters, at which periodic meetings the GSNL Chair reports on Supersite results and on the status of the initiative.
- European Space Agency (ESA)
- German Aerospace Centre (Deutsches Zentrum für Luft- und Raumfahrt – DLR)
- Canadian Space Agency – Agence spatiale canadienne (CSA-ASC)
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
- Italian Space Agency (Agenzia Spaziale Italiana – ASI)
- Committee on Earth Observation Satellites (CEOS)
- French space agency (Centre National d’études Spatiales – CNES)
In situ data providers
In situ data providers provide access to ground-based data.
- U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), USA
- Instituto Geofísico, Escuela Politécnica Nacional, Ecuador
- UNAVCO, USA
- Icelandic Met Office, Iceland
- University of Iceland
- Istituto Nazionale di Geofisica e Vulcanologia (INGV), Italy
- European Plate Observing System (EPOS), EU
- Research Unit Institute of Engineering Seismology and Earthquake Engineering of the Earthquake Planning and Protection Organisation (ITSAK), Greece
- Bogaziçi University – Kandilli Observatory and Earthquake Research Institute, Turkey
- GNS Science Te Pu Ao, New Zealand
The global scientific community
The global scientific community exploits in situ and earth observation data to generate state of the art scientific results. See the list of scientists of the GSNL community.