Further to the GSNL general objectives, the Virunga Supersite has the following specific objectives:
- capacity building of local scientists,
- increase, on a fair basis, international collaboration for the monitoring of the Virunga active volcanoes and the Lake Kivu with the aim of preventing the related risks.
- access Earth Observation satellite data, for the monitoring and understanding of the volcano processes,
- identify possible funding sources and obtain resources to develop GVO monitoring and scientific capacities.
DRC Civil Protection
NGOs for Emergency and Disaster Management (also in Rwanda)
Virunga National Park offices
Open Supersite data
Please read the Virunga Supersite Data Policy before continuing.
- TerraSAR X satellite data can be accessed from the DLR Supersite Data Portal (registration needed)
- COMO-SkyMed SAR data can be accessed from the ESA Geohazard Exploitation Platform.
- Pleiadés data: Accessible on demand from the Coordinator
In situ data:
- Contact the Supersite coordinator.
If you want to use in situ data, we strongly encourage to seek collaboration with scientist at the Goma Volcano Observatory, as explained in the Virunga Supersite Data Policy